Immediately on its construction from 1568 to 1571, the complex obtained the character of a castle and was, in contrast to later Renaissance complexes on the Rhine, protected by fortifications. Philippsburg Castle was built on portions of the mediaeval city wall of Braubach and is classified as the earliest Renaissance castle on the Middle Rhine. Philippsburg Castle, which was derelict in the 18th century and had undergone major change through the refurbishment measures carried out from 1822, is a good example of a particular trend in the Renaissance: castle complexes in a valley location were more and more favoured over the narrow - and very difficult to reach - castles built on a hill on the Middle Rhine. So it’s no accident that Philippsburg Castle lies directly underneath the mediaeval Marksburg.
Today, it is here that the seat of the European Castles Institute is located.
The Renaissance garden of Philippsburg Castle is open to the public and can be visited at any time.
Cosy restaurant in the courtyard and the historical wine cellar with regional wines.